The Following VAT Public Notices have been Updated:
- VAT Notice 700/45: How to correct VAT errors and make adjustments or claims. The technical content of this notice remains but the address for the VAT Error Correction Team (VATECT) office in section 4.11 has changed.
- VAT Notice 701/29: Betting, gaming and lotteries. This notice cancels and replaces Notice 701/29 (February 2013) and confirms that HMRC now accepts that all ‘Spot the Ball’ competitions are games of chance and are therefore exempt from VAT as a form of pool betting.
- VAT Notice 733: Flat Rate Scheme. This revised notice replaces the February 2017 edition. There are slight amendments to Section 4 and paragraphs 2, 15.4 and 15.5.
- VAT Notice 742A: Opting to tax land and buildings. This notice has been updated to reproduce guidance on the 2% occupation rule at paragraphs 13.8.7 and 13.8.8. Previously this guidance was only available in the VAT Land & Property Manual – VATLP 23430.
- VAT Notice 1002: Adapted motor vehicles for disabled people and charities. This notice and forms VAT1615A and VAT1617A cancel and replace VAT help sheets VAT1615 and VAT1616. As set out in the recently published Finance Bill 2017, from 1st April 2017 the Government has implemented a number of changes relating to the VAT zero-rating for the purchase of adapted motor vehicles for eligible disabled users. The notice explains what motor vehicles can be zero-rated for VAT, how motor vehicles need to be adapted to be zero-rated, who is eligible to buy a motor vehicle at the zero-rate of VAT and what evidence is required to support eligibility for the zero rating of these supplies. Changes to the legislation are:
- the introduction of a limit on the number of vehicles that can be purchased under the relief, with an eligible individual now being able to purchase only one vehicle that meets the qualifying conditions every 3 years
- making customer eligibility declaration forms mandatory
- making it mandatory for suppliers to send HMRC information about their zero-rate supplies
- the introduction of a penalty that will apply to any person that provides an incorrect customer eligibility declaration form