An Organisation for all
Accountants in Practice

BHS in administration – claiming redundancy payments

By The Insolvency Service

insolvency logo


How to claim redundancy as a former BHS employee.

BHS entered insolvency on 25 April 2016. Duff & Phelps and FRP Advisory were appointed as administrators.

There are special arrangements for employees who have been dismissed following BHS entering administration. You might be entitled to redundancy and other contractual payments from the National Insurance Fund. These payments are subject to legal limits on the amount paid.

Payments are administered by the Redundancy Payments Service in the Insolvency Service and become a debt in the administration. You cannot make a claim for redundancy until you have been dismissed.

The administrator will provide details of how to make your online claim. We aim to pay eligible claims within an average of 16 days of receiving the necessary information from you.

Please note that we are experiencing higher than usual call volumes. If you are unable to get through to us you can email and we will call you back. Please include your name, claim reference number and your telephone number in your email. You should email us from the same address you previously used if you need to contact us again after making your claim. If you do not have a claim reference number please contact the administrator’s representative on 01827 383531.

Redundancy payments enquiry line

Telephone 0330 331 0020

For enquiries about redundancy payments (9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday)

If you are calling us please have your claim reference number and National Insurance number to hand. We will need to ask you some other questions to verify your identity before we can help you.

Self-employed contractors who provided services to BHS you are not entitled to a redundancy payment. You will be a creditor in the liquidation.

Pension contributions

The Redundancy Payment Service can also pay both employee pension contributions and employer contributions, within specified legal limits. Claims are lodged by pension trustees, so you do not need to make an application for this. The cost of these payments is also met from the National Insurance Fund.

Further information: Your rights if your employer is insolvent

BHS was known as British Home Stores until December 1988.