An Organisation for all
Accountants in Practice

Want to complain about a Limited Company or its Directors?

By The Insolvency Service

The Insolvency Service

You can complain to The Insolvency Service, Companies House or the Serious Fraud Office if you suspect a limited company or its directors of fraud or serious misconduct.

Complain to The Insolvency Service

You can make a complaint if you have reasonable grounds to suspect a currently active company of:

  • causing significant harm to customers, suppliers, etc
  • breaking the law, eg fraud
  • serious misconduct, eg company assets have not been used properly
  • having a significant irregularity in its affairs

The Insolvency Service

Online complaints form
Telephone: 0300 678 0017
24-hour answerphone to ask for a form

You can also complain in writing.

Intelligence Hub
Investigations and Enforcement Services
Insolvency Service
3rd Floor Cannon House
18 Priory Queensway
B4 6FD

What happens next

If The Insolvency Service decides that your complaint is serious enough, they will either:

  • carry out a confidential investigation
  • pass your complaint on to another public body

If they find anything wrong and have enough evidence, they may ask a court to do either or both of the following:

  • close the company down
  • disqualify the company’s directors

If they find an offence may have been committed, they’ll send a report to the appropriate authority who will decide whether to carry out a criminal investigation.

What can’t be investigated

The Insolvency Service won’t usually investigate complaints if:

  • there’s no public interest, eg an internal company dispute
  • an investigation by somebody else is already underway
  • the main issue is that the company isn’t paying its debts

Complaining about insolvent companies

If the company you want to complain about has gone into administration, receivership or liquidation (it’s being ‘wound up’), contact the official receiver (OR) or insolvency practitioner (IP) responsible for their case.

Check the Companies House register if you don’t know the name of the OR or IP.

Complain to Companies House

Companies House deals with complaints about companies that fail to file documents like annual accounts or returns, or file fraudulent documents.

If you suspect a company of breaking the law on the filing of documents, email the details to

Serious and complex fraud

If your complaint relates to a serious and complex fraud involving more than £1 million, check the Serious Fraud Office’s criteria for taking on cases to see if you should report it to them.

Published June 2015